Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Can I Publish Public Records on my Own Site That Earns Ad Revenue?

I want to take the job descriptions from several cities and publish them on my own website which earns revenue through advertisements. Since these are open records, could there be an issue with copyright infringement? Do I need to credit the cities which created the descriptions? I am primarily concerned with Texas.



If you know, can you please cite where you are getting your information from? If all you can answer for is Texas, that works for me. Thanks in advance.Can I Publish Public Records on my Own Site That Earns Ad Revenue?
By definition, copyright protects original, creative content. As such, if a job description contains original, creative content, then the job description may be protected by copyright. Now, whether a job description can contain copyrightable aspects is the question. That I can't say in the abstract, however.



I am not sure what you mean by "open record" in this context. Just because something is "open" does not mean it's not protected by copyright. For example, just because you can view a TV show for free over an antenna does not mean the TV show isn't protected by copyright.



http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-pr鈥?/a>Can I Publish Public Records on my Own Site That Earns Ad Revenue?
I should have said public record, but thanks for trying to help, but this still doesn't really answer the specifics of the question.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment